This is a little celebratory post to acknowledge that we have have reached our last fundraising target of £47 500. Hooray! That’s the amount of money that the knitting and crochet community has now raised through p/hop for MSF! That’s such an incredible achievement, all achieved through the donations of knitters and crocheters. And I have to give an extra special shout-out to p/hopper Ros, who was keeping a very close eye on the target and made an extra donation to get us over the line.
It’s a pretty big sum of money to raise, and it can be tricky to visualise what that would actually achieve on the ground. MSF’s money is always used in the most effective and efficient way possible, and directed in the areas of most pressing need. This year for instance MSF has been doing a huge amount of work fighting the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, as well as responding to medical emergencies across the world. However I’ve done a spot of theoretical shopping with the money we’ve raised, and this is what the p/hop funds could enable.
What £47 500 could pay for:
- three 45 square meter multifunctional field hospital tents
- a disaster kit with drugs and medical equipment to quickly meet the needs of a disaster stricken population
- tetanus vaccinations for 5 000 people
- an emergency medical kit that can provide 10 000 people with emergency medical care for three months
- 240 wool blankets to protect displaced people from the cold
- a flexible water tank with a capacity of 5 000 litres
- a surgeon to be sent in to the field for four weeks
- antibiotics to treat 200 injured people
- fluids to treat 200 people with severe dehydration
- two full first aid emergency kits to be used in emergency settings
That’s a phenomenal list of what your p/hop funds can purchase. Who knew that sticks and string could achieve so much?
Thank you so, so much to everyone who has contributed. Whether you’ve donated a design, purchased a pattern, volunteered at a stall, or helped to spread the words amongst friends and family, you’ve helped to make a difference.
For more information about the work that MSF is undertaking right now, please head on over to their website: MSF UK
It’s only sensible that our next fundraising target should be a whopping £50 000. Do you fancy helping us get there? Just download a pattern and click the button to donate what you think it is worth.
Thank you p/hoppers!